National Immigration Services
An Immigration Law Firm


Green Cards
Temporary Visas
Hire our law firm
About us
Download free forms
Buy Immigration books



Changing status to F-1 student status 


You first must apply to study at an INS-approved school in the United States. When you contact a school that you are interested in attending, you should be told immediately if the school accepts foreign national students. If you are accepted, the school should send you INS Form I-20 A-B/IID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status - for Academic and Language Students). You must submit this form and an INS Form I-539 (Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status) to the INS. Be aware that processing may take several months. As such, it may be better to leave the U.S. and then reenter using the I-20 issued to you from the school’s designated school officer. You must also prove that you have the financial resources required for your education and stay in the United States.




Copyright © 1997-2002 National Immigration Services All Rights Reserved

This is an advertisement, no attorney/client relationship is established by viewing the contents of this site. As immigration law is constantly changing, information is provided as-is and does not constitute legal advice. Visitors are urged to contact experienced immigration counsel for their immigration matters.